My Mind News

This is my brain. I'm pretty sure it's not on drugs.

Saturday, August 07, 2004

Aren't I Swell?

You know, I'm an American. I live a good life. Of course, that's all relative. So to some, I might live like shit. But in comparison to the rest of the world, I have things that millions upon millions dream to have.

When people see misfortune in life, they just hope, wish, and pray that something can be done about it. Now I'm not against either hoping, wishing, or praying, however if that's the only thing you are doing then I don't feel that it's good enough.

I like to take action. Now it doesn't have to be on any significant level. But every little bit helps. And if everyone were to just do a little bit, the world can change. Is that realistic, no. But does that render action useless, no.

So what's my little bit?

I decided to sponsor a child in need though the Christian Children's Fund. Krista insisted that I pick an "ugly" one for she thought that they would be overlooked when selecting. I have no verification of her claim, so I made it simple by just running a search on the type of child that had the most need in the country with the greatest need. And this child popped up amongst two others:



Sander is a young Brazilian boy who lives with his parents, Jose and Ivanete, in a rural community located in the Jequitinhonha Valley, northeast Minas Gerais, which is a poor and drought-stricken region.

Their simple home, which is self-built, has adobe walls, rough cement floors and a clay-tiled roof. There is an outhouse for toilet. Water is carried from a stream. Jose works long hours as a farm laborer (mostly cutting sugar-cane away from the home). The per-capita family income is less than US$ 50.00, or half of the minimum monthly wage in the country.

The family is of the Catholic faith and their native language is Portuguese. Sander is cheerful and fun. His pet name is Nene. He helps his mom to care for the chickens. He likes playing with balls and toy cars.

He is also fond of animals like dogs and cats. Sander is considered to have good health. He attends the project day care center where he receives nutritious meals and care, besides participating in recreational and educationally-oriented activities.

I might not be able to change the world. But I sure as hope that I can make all the difference in the world for this young guy. Ain't he a cutie?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home