My Mind News

This is my brain. I'm pretty sure it's not on drugs.

Saturday, July 10, 2004

Cheap Hotels Gone Cheap

I'm sitting in an Amway owned Comfort Inn somewhere in some small town in Minnesota hours away from home. Indeed, it's a crappy motel. I think my share of the night's stay is going to be around $20. Of course, sharing in the nature of the crappiness, I am writing this post on a cheap ass laptop (cost $180 on Ebay) and using free internet, thanks to NetZero.

One of the joys of going to a motel/hotel is the gratitous amenities that they endow you with. Oh you know what I'm talking about. Coffee, water, soap, shampoo, towels, pillows, bath mats, etc.

I know, you don't have to tell me. Not all of this stuff is on the house. We just all justify a way as to why it should be free. For me, I'm in a smoking room, when we clearly specified a non-smoking room.

So as I was marinating in the old faint smell of a room routinely baked in cancer sticks, I decided to make best of my time and help myself out to a few free gifts. But I ran across a little sign that was resting on the table next to the free coffee machine that would look nice in my kitchen.

It read:

Due to the popularity of our guest room amenities, our Housekeeping Department now offers these items for sale:

  • Bath Towels $9.00
  • Bath Mats $12.00
  • Hand Towels $5.00
  • Face Cloths $2.00
  • Pillows $15.00

    Looking in my bag, I was pleased to see that they priced my complimentary items. My room was already paid for by far and them some. Zipping up my bag, I was going to instruct my younger brother to head down to the swimming pool and pick up another $50 worth of towels.

    But my impluse stopped dead when I finished reading the sign.

    Each guest attendant is resonsible for maintaining the guest room items. Should you decide to take these articles from your room instead of obtaining them from the Execuctive Housekeeper, we will assume you approve a corresponding charge to your account.

    Thank you.


    Now ain't that some bullshit? Now I'm going to actually have to pay for my Christmas gifts this year. Thanks a lot Comfort Inn. You couldn't give me a smoke free room. You couldn't give me my gratitous towels, and tomorrow morning I wouldn't be surprised if you required a tip for your supposedly complimentary breakfast.

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home