My Mind News

This is my brain. I'm pretty sure it's not on drugs.

Friday, June 18, 2004

Safety Rendered Uncool

Summers out. Girls wear less, people exercise more. And nearly all of the 80% of Wisconsin's population that represents the overweight eat one less cheeseburger a day in hops to look good for the summer. Of course it's time to bring out the toys as well. Boats hit the lakes, fast cars hit the streets, and motorcycles zig zag all around town with their modified exhaust systems guaranteeing your fractional ear damage as they whiz by.

Seeing that Wisconsin hosts the city that gave birth to Harley Davidson, it's only fitting that I see dozens of them any given day. More so now that I live in a blue collar town where you ain't a man unless you got a hog and a hot chick to roll around with it. Though in Janesville, they got it a little backwards. It looks more like the chick is the hog and the hottest thing is the bike itself.

But anyways, on to the topic at hand. I would easily venture to guess that 1 in 100 Harley Riders wear safety helmets. I personally value my life, so I am not concerned with any "cool" factor that might threaten my very existance.

Initially I at first thought it was just the fact that they didn't want to be seen as a dweeb for wearing a helmet. However, I think it goes beyond that. I think it goes more along the fact that these tools want to get recognized on their bikes. That's apparent by the pseudo-bad ass mug they sport that probably took them hours of practicing in front of a mirror.

But what fricken difference does it make? I can't recall a time in my life where I saw a guy in the grocery store and quickly tapped Krista on the shoulder saying, "Look...that's the guy....that guy we saw the other day on the highway."

Gimme a million breaks already.

The fact that you have the cash to drop on a $30,000 Harley so you can drive on the 2 days of summer Wisconsin has is impressive enough for me. Does it really matter if one sees your face or not? I don't ever recall a case hearing someone say, "Man why is he wearing a helmet? I can't even see him. What's the point of having a motorcycle if I can't see him?"

Get real bikers. Wear a helmet, cause the face you don't want recognized is the one the forensics team will need to peel off the asphalt after you bust your junk on your bike.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home