My Mind News

This is my brain. I'm pretty sure it's not on drugs.

Saturday, May 22, 2004

My Vote of Value

MTV has that this year I either choose to vote or I lose. And a commercial I saw on TV gave me the impression that my single vote is of an extreme value.

While I have voted in the past, I have never voted for a Presidential candidate. In 2000, I was in college having a blast and though I favored Bush, it wasn't enough to compel me to head to the polling booth to cast my single important vote.

However, I buy into MTV's message. My vote does count. My vote does have value. However I'm curious to see how much value my vote has.

When it came time to vote for a new Wisconsin governor, my future father-in-law encouraged me to vote straight Republican all the way down the ballot. And for my good service, I would be rewarded with a dinner at the Olive Garden. My fiancee was offered the same thing. So of course, I voted Republican and had a great meal that night. I figure the meal probably cost around $25. So you could say that $25 was the value of my vote.

But now with the Presidential election around the corner, I'm sure my vote has to be valued much higher than that. Especially when you take into consideration the contraversial recount that occured after the 2000 election. And besides, we're talking about the President here. That's much more of an important position than some Wisconsin governor job.

So my vote is for sale. And it's going to go to the highest bidder. I think it's fair that bidding should begin at $25. Remember. My single vote is important and has value. Keep that in consideration when you place your bid to buy my vote.

Bid with Confidence.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If a vote has value and none of the candidates attempt to sway you to their side with delicious bribes or even the cold hard influence of straight cash, then what is the value of your vote?

If no one wants your individual opinion, then what is it worth? Does your vote become useless and valueless or is it even more valuable? Does your vote actually become your own? Worth more than all the free breadsticks that come with dinner?

I have never been much for voting, though I do believe in freedom of choice. And while they can place all the names for as many political parties they want over the ballots, the one choice that many people elect to choose is rarely given space on that complex web of electees.

The freedom not to make a choice.

However, if you choose not too choose then, you are in fact, deciding to let everyone else who does choose a choice make that choice for you. You are in essence saying that your choice is not important enough to voice and you simply will bend to the will of all those who could stand up and make their decisions.

I am not too sure, but the choice not to choose doesnt sound like a freedom. That sounds more like a dictatorship. A dictatorship from the masses.

So, where do I make my 'X'?

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home