My Mind News

This is my brain. I'm pretty sure it's not on drugs.

Sunday, May 09, 2004

Camel's Anti-Truth

They really really want us to smoke.

I was on Water Street in Milwaukee on Saturday. The street is littered with a variety of various bars/clubs that's considered to be Milwaukee's "hot spot".

In one bar, I was given a free zippo just by saying that I was a smoker and filling out a small survey. Of course, I'm not a smoker, but I would be foolish to decline a $20+ item given away for free.

Content with my new prize, me and my drinkin' buddies continued our bar hops. In another bar, there was a similar offer. Except this time they were giving away free Camel cigarettes. Two packs to be exact. Again, I still don't smoke, but I filled out the survey and was given my two free packs.

I had mixed feelings about the whole thing. It was a feeling leaning towards disgust. Doesn't R.J. Reynolds make enough money as it is off the suffering of millions? Do they really have to now prey on drug college kids in an attempt to find even more smokers?

I wanted to conduct my own experiment with my two packs of cigarettes. There was about an hour left before bar time and I wanted to see how many of the cigarettes I had that I could give away myself for free.

After an hour of solicitation I was only able to give away 8 cigarettes. You heard me right....8 cigarettes. And I was surprised by that as it's completely stereotypical that you'd find dozens of smokers in bars and clubs. What was even more interesting that twice I was told something to the effect of, "Dude, that's not cool."

No doubt R.J. Reynolds doesn't like those words. So maybe that's why they have to resort to such desperate measures.

How many kids are now going to die from a horrific and painful death, all due to the fact that on one night they were given Camel cigarettes.

The era of smoking is coming to an end. The sooner the better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home