My Mind News

This is my brain. I'm pretty sure it's not on drugs.

Monday, April 19, 2004

A Growing Army of One

A Fresh Start

Money for College.

A Great Addition to a Resume.

These are the reasons kids enter today's military by the thousands. And luckily for most of them, the Army makes good on their promises. But the reasons today are drastically different from those of before, and I feel an uneasy presense of the hearts of those who are currently fighting our "war" against Iraq.

My grandpa and his brother-in-law both fought in WW II. Eddie, the brother-in-law, fought on the front lines of the Army's Infrantry and took out opposing Nazi pillboxes. He was injured in combat, sent back to the med center to get doctored up, and before he was fully recovered he demanded that he return to the front lines. His reason, "The guys needed him."

The all needed each other. There was such a powerful bond that connected the hearts of many during those turbulent years. They had much more to fight for. The Nazis were literally in a position to take over the world, the American economy was shaky, and the Russians always were an ever present threat to our American Way of life.

I've seen many dead faces immortalized in pictures of those that were lost in WW II. Those men truly were heroes. I've also seen the many dead faces of those that have fought in Iraq. And as much as I want to, I can't feel the same way. I don't see a hero. I see a kid who just wanted some college money and now there he is lying dead with a bullet in his head and an Baath party loyalist prancing around him.

There's something very wrong with that picture.

I don't know what we're over there fighting for and the longer we stay out there I would imagine the hearts of those that are in that war are bending to similar feelings.

Mr. Bush. Bring our boys home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home